Described as “one of the friendliest studios in the city” by The New York Times, Yoga High was founded in 2008 by Mel Russo and Liz Buehler Walker.
Today, Mel is the sole owner and director, and Patricia Milder is the co-director.
Yoga High classes are fun, challenging and filled with alignment cues as well as some of the best hands on adjustments in town. We take pride in the fact that everyone who walks through our doors gets the same friendly hello from the staff and positive attention from their teachers. We feel very strongly that a clean studio, comfortable atmosphere and supportive community are what group Yoga classes are all about.
Yoga High was started with the desire to bring a home to east village and lower east side yogis, and we’ve been doing so with love and gratitude for our amazing students for more than five years. Having taught in the east village before founding this studio, Mel and Liz knew the neighborhood needed a space for quality Vinyasa Yoga, full of experienced and kind teachers. They envisioned and then created a studio where people could walk in the door and feel welcome, no matter what their level of Yoga experience was.
At Yoga High everyone is encouraged, empowered, and challenged in the true Yogic tradition. As one of our students puts it, Yoga High is your “Happy Place.”
Here’s what people say about Yoga High:
- “After visiting nearly a dozen yoga places around the city, this is my favorite. There is much to like about this place. It starts with the decor. It is clean and fresh and uncluttered. Very zen. Yoga High is also a very nurturing environment. If you are a beginner this is a nice place to start. The instructors are warm, helpful and seem to really care about people more than yoga, which is something that I can’t say about many other places.” -Brion
- “I thought yoga was boring before actually trying it at Yoga High, when I became hooked. The teachers are excellent, down to earth, treat beginners with care and challenge the advanced. Compared to other studios, Yoga High lends a breath of fresh air, coziness, and inspired musical playlists to your class. Their explanations of poses and the anatomy are especially impressive.” -Kelly
- “Instructors are terrific and make sure all students are moving through their practice safely & to the best of their ability. If you are looking for a ‘scene,’ look elsewhere. The studio has an intimate comfortable atmosphere with out any sense of competitiveness. Buy a package and go often. You won’t be sorry.” -Marijke
- “I’ve ‘done’ yoga at many studios, but I only found my ‘practice’ when I started going to Yoga High. Owners Mel and Liz are open and down to earth, giving with their time and knowledge of Yoga. Beyond the incredible people they attract, the studio is a beautiful place to practice, always clean, and always full of great energy!” -Sara
- “I can’t say enough good things about this studio. The classes and teachers are diverse, but incredibly consistent in their quality and thoughtfulness. It’s a welcoming, community-oriented place that helped introduce me to yoga–it puts a smile on my face just to walk in the door.” -Raoul